Thursday, October 2, 2008

Los Angeles again after 14 months away

We came down I-5 today from our overnight stop in Lost Hills, CA. We were heading to Joss' parent's house to pick up our van we left with them 14 months ago, so we drove straight through Los Angeles via the Interstate. As we neared Los Angeles, the condition of the road worsened with every mile it seemed. Throughout the trip, we've kept an informal poll of various things. One of them being "worst roads". For a time, Oklahoma City had the honors. Then Louisiana took the crown away and held it for many months. Well, today the City of Angels took the award in spades! If you are driving an RV or towing a trailer and need to get to San Diego (or other port-of-call below LA) do your kidneys a favor and figure out a way AROUND Los Angeles!

I assume all the yuppies that cut us off and zig zagged through the traffic didn't notice it as much as we did. I think the suspension of those Beamers, Jags, Benz' and Lexus SUVs is a little more forgiving than our 1 ton, dually pickup with an 8,000 pound trailer.

Besides the road condition, Los Angeles (or the "Greater LA basin" as it's known) also gets the award for the worst drivers. When I say "worst" what I mean to include is "unsafe", "rude", "harried", "impatient" and "stupid". I can say those things because I used to be one. I have worked as a salesperson, driving a company car, around Los Angeles for many years. And being in that position, I was occasionally late, distracted or stressed...sometimes all at once! I drove too fast, cut to close to large vehicles that were moving too slow to pose a danger of hitting me and generally was an jerk of sorts. I was never rude on purpose (okay, almost never) but I can now see how my driving may have been interpreted that way. Ahh the wisdom that comes with age. Age and the experience of driving a 27,000 pound rig all around the country. As we've said before, you don't do ANYTHING fast when you're towing that much trailer. I guess you could say I've mellowed a bit in my driving and there were a lot of people on the road today that certainly HAVEN'T!

But enough of the drivers and roads. What about the beauty of the big city? To be fair, let me preface my comments with the acknowledgement that most Interstates that go through "big" cities don't usually go through the most pretty parts of town. There, that's my disclaimer and if you live in Los Angeles and you love the city...good for you, I hope you've found your little slice of paradise. BUT if you're driving down (or up) I-5, Los Angeles is about the ugliest city we've seen on the whole trip!

We put a positive spin on the visual assault to our senses by telling ourselves that this little trip through LA LA land was to serve as a reminder of why we left in the first place. We have seen such natural beauty all across the country that the smog, haze, concrete, trash and traffic of Los Angeles leaves us no doubt that we've done the right thing.

While we can't wait to see our friends and family while we're down here...we can't wait to head North for the last time!

No comments: